So I kind of feel a weird drive that I have to do some like obligatory "hey this is me and my blog" type of post. But, what's on my heart and mind, to me, is of much greater value to you (whomever you are) and to me (both present and future). I want to write about Jesus Christ and how He's playing a role in my life, and what these past few weeks have held for me. I hope in some small way they help bring you closer to Christ, I hope in some way they bring both of us comfort, and I hope that they bring greater insight and understanding.
A few weeks ago I found myself in a bit of a rut; wondering, anxious, full of concern, and needing direction. It was not the most fun or enjoyable place to be in. I found myself feeling like I didn't have faith, that some how I was less than others around me, and honestly wondering if I could continue. I hadn't stopped praying or studying the word of God, but I didn't recognize progression. It wasn't what I felt a newly returned missionary should be feeling. I felt stuck, and I wanted out. The Lord had an answer for me and it was found in the phrase "Firm and Undaunted."
In Alma 57:20 we read "And as the remainder of our army were about to give way before the Lamanites, behold, those two thousand and sixty were firm and undaunted." At this time in scripture these young men are faced with the challenges of war. They certainly aren't well equipped, they haven't been trained much, but they are FULL of faith! Because of this there are so many parallels that we can draw in our own lives.
The two main ones for me are 1. Being firm in our decisions, faith, and discipleship. and 2. Being undaunted by the struggles, challenges, and opposition that we face. I believe this had to be the case of the young stripling warriors. They were firm in their decision to trust in the Lord and His servants, and to follow as they had been instructed. In verse 21 it states "they did obey and observe to perform every word of command with exactness." In our own lives so is our opportunity to take the counsel of our leaders, our parents, and most importantly the Spirit and obey with exactness. To do so shows the Lord that we, like the stripling warriors, trust the Lord and those who He has called to guide, support, and love us.
Another parallel that I would like to draw with being firm is not just about the decision to obey with exactness. But ours is the opportunity to decide right now, today, and forever that we will be disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ. Then to stay firm in that decision, so that we may say "I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God." (3 Nephi 5:13) We so often hear that others have strayed, or that there is reason to doubt. Maybe we hear and believe the ever enticing half truth that because Jesus loves us and saves us, we have no need to do any more than accept Him. Yet, to truly accept Him we must be firm in our decision to be His disciple. To do as He said to His disciples of old "Come, follow me" and to let down our nets and follow. As we let go of our fears and replace them with faith, as we make a firm decision to be a disciple, we are led to become who we are needed to become.
Of course there are hard times, challenges, and difficulties that will come as we make a firm decision to be a disciple. After all there needs to be opposition in all things (2 Nephi 2). This is where being undaunted becomes our task. Just like these soldiers we will face hard things but we can be undaunted by the questions/doubts, the opposition, and the trials we face. Being undaunted is to not become discouraged, to not lose the the ground we have already won, and most importantly to not lose the firmness of our decision to be a disciple of Christ.
It is my hope and prayer that each of us may be firm and undaunted in our faith, our decisions, and our discipleship. Challenges will come and be overcome. Trials will press us and refine us. Yet, as we "trust in the Lord and lean not" we can find great peace, direction, and solace. I am grateful for my challenges that have helped me to understand that I need to be firm and undaunted.

Comments
Post a Comment